Get our free printable Christmas Planner for a stress-free Christmas!
A holiday classic, these Glazed Orange Cranberry Scones are wonderful for any occasion. Cranberry and orange are both powerful flavors that you can use in a multitude of ways.
Whether you like them for their sweet, tangy taste or their wintery aromas, this cranberry scone recipe combines the two to create a festive treat that’s sure to win over guests.
Why You’ll Love These Glazed Orange Cranberry Scones
- Easy to make and you can make them the night before and bake the next day.
- Fresh orange and cranberry flavors.
- Golden crunchy on the outside, soft and moist on the inside.
- Delicious orange glaze.
How To Make Glazed Orange Cranberry Scones
These scones are the perfect addition to any table, and they’re oh-so-easy to make. You can even make them ahead of time up until step 6, then store them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve them.
Prep time: 15 minutes + 30 minutes to chill
Baking time: 18-22 minutes
Yields: 12 scones
Cranberry Scone Ingredients:
2 cup all-purpose flour + ¼ cup for work surface
3 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon orange extract
1 t. orange zest, preferably organic
1 cup Craisins (or frozen cranberries)
Orange Glaze Ingredients:
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Line a large, rimmed baking parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
2. Mix two cups of flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a fork until butter is in pea-sized pieces.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the heavy cream, sour cream, egg, vanilla extract, orange extract, and orange zest. Whisk to combine.
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Add in the Craisins and stir until just mixed.
5. Sprinkle ¼ cup of flour onto a clean work surface. Transfer the scone batter onto a floured surface and lightly knead it into a ball. Press the dough down into a ½” high rectangle (approximately 6” x 10”). Cut in half lengthwise, and then each half into 3 rectangles. Then, cut each rectangle diagonally to create triangle-shaped pieces.
6. Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, leaving 1-2” between them. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before baking.
7. Pre-heat oven to 400°F, then add the baking sheet to the oven when ready. Bake the scones for 18-22 minutes, or until they are nicely golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes.
8. While the scones are cooling, prepare the orange glaze by stirring the powdered sugar and orange juice together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
9. Serve the scones warmly drizzled with some of the orange glaze on top. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for an easy, yet tasty recipe to make for the Christmas season, these orange cranberry scones will definitely hit the spot.
The cranberries added just the right amount of tartness and the orange glaze is just the perfect amount of sweetness.
As a bonus, you can put these together in an afternoon, bake them on the morning of Christmas Eve and give your house a sweet holiday aroma as your family starts to gather.
More Christmas Recipes
- Spiced Cranberry Spritzer Recipe
- Cranberry Moscow Mule Recipe
- Chocolate Whiskey Cake With Whiskey Ganache Recipe