Get our free printable Christmas Planner for a stress-free Christmas!
This Chocolate Whiskey Cake With Whiskey Ganache is best made a day in advance to really let the flavors come together. It’s the perfect Christmas dessert recipe to round off a Holiday dinner and delight your guests.
How To Make Chocolate Whiskey Cake With Whiskey Ganache
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Tip: This cake tastes best when prepared one day in advance. You can also place a thin layer of jam and fresh fruit between the cake layers as a tasty variation.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 1 T pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chunks
For the Ganache:
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 c canned coconut milk (or heavy cream)
- 2 T whiskey
- 1/16 t salt
Chocolate or White Chocolate Shavings and/or Fresh Raspberries or Strawberries.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray two 8” round cake pans with baking spray and line them each with a piece of parchment paper.
2. Add eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar to a large bowl of an electric mixer and mix on low speed until combined. In another bowl combine sour cream, vegetable oil, water, whiskey, and vanilla extract until fully combined and smooth. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. Alternate folding dry ingredients and wet ingredients into the sugar mixture just until combined, taking care not to overmix the batter.
5. Finally, fold in the chunked bittersweet chocolate and pour the batter into the prepared cake pans. Place in the oven and bake until the cake is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, around 33-38 minutes depending on your oven.
6. Cool in pans for 30 minutes then turn onto a cooling rack until completely cool.
7. While the cake is cooling, place semi-sweet chocolate in a medium bowl.
8. Heat the coconut milk in the microwave or on the stovetop just until it boils. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate.
9. Allow the mixture to sit for 2 minutes, then stir with a whisk until a smooth and glossy ganache forms. Add 2 T whiskey and salt. Continue whisking just until combined.
10. Once the cake is fully cooled to room temperature, spread a thin layer of ganache in between layers then frost the rest of the cake with the whiskey ganache.
11. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings, white chocolate, or berries on top, if desired, Enjoy!
Tip: Use a full-flavored whiskey bourbon such as Jack Daniels or Wild Turkey.
- Substitute the water for a strong brewed coffee for a decadent coffee whiskey chocolate cake.
- Add 1/8 tsp of ground cloves for a spicy kick.
- Add 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice mix
Note: since this is a boozy dessert it’s not suitable for kids. While the alcohol will be reduced to 0 in the cake, it will most likely remain in the ganache.
More Christmas Recipes:
- Mulled White Wine Recipe
- Non-Alcoholic Christmas Drinks
- Festive Christmas Appetizers
- Cozy Christmas Breakfast Recipes
- Festive Christmas Fudge Recipes